This creamy mushroom soup is rich in flavor and provides a great source of nutrients for mom. Mushrooms are a good source of vitamins, including vitamin D, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and folate. They also contain beta-glucans, which have been shown to enhance immune function. Supporting the immune system is particularly important for new moms as they recover from childbirth and may be more susceptible to infections.
- 1 pound (450g) mushrooms (such as cremini, button, or shiitake), sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter or heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pot and sauté until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pot and cook until they release their moisture and start to brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and coconut milk until smooth, ensuring no lumps remain.
- Pour the broth into the pot with the mushrooms, followed by the milk and flour mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Add the dried thyme, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir again.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together and the soup to thicken slightly.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, carefully puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency. If using a regular blender, work in batches and be cautious of the hot liquid.
- Return the soup to the pot and heat it gently if needed. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
Serve the creamy mushroom soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
As always, consult with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian for personalized dietary advice based on any specific dietary restrictions or considerations you may have. If you try this recipe and love it as much as we do, be sure to tag us @miraclemilkookies on Instagram!